Burford House Gardens

  • burfordhouse

Garden Category: North Midlands

Profile
Profile
Photos
Map
Related Listing
  • Uniquely situated where three counties meet, the 7 acres of lawn and borders of Burford House Gardens sweep along the banks of the River Teme. Originally designed by the late John Treasure in 1952 around an early Georgian house (now an interior furnishings shop), the gardens contain a National Collection of Clematis (spp. texensis, viticella & herbaceous) along with around 2000 other kinds of plants, including the magnificent Wisteria “Burford”, which in May cascades down the back of the house. To the rear of the house, the former National Clematis Collection is being lovingly restored to its previous glory. The gardens were once home to one of the best collections of clematis in the country until a period of neglect led to its decline. Since 2013 an army of volunteers, aptly named the ‘Burford House Garden Angels’, have been working hard to restore the four acre gardens situated on the banks of the River Teme. The gardens were once home to around 300 different varieties of clematis. There are now around 200 different varieties of clematis within the gardens; sometimes as many as 50 in flower at one time. A Georgian turfed bridge spans the river and leads to a wildflower meadow, offering contrast to the intensively nurtured gardens around the house.

  • No Records Found

    Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

    Google Map Not Loaded

    Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.