The centrepiece of th Read more [...]
Garden Category: North Scotland Gardens
Contains one of Britain’s finest collection of conifers, including Britain’s largest conifer dating back to 1790, and a spectacular display of rhododendrons. Ardkinglas Estate was purchased in 1905 by Sir Andrew Noble. An outstanding collection of rhododendrons was established by Sir John Noble around 1920. Encouraged by his early success and with the assistance of his son Michael (later Lord Glenkinglas), he set about planting a gift of rhododendrons from fellow enthusiast Lord Aberconway. Two railway carriages were dispatched from Bodnant, North Wales and sent to Arrochar station in 1935. These plants can presently be found upon the aptly named Bodnant Bank. Lord Glenkinglas and his wife, Anne, continued to garden at Ardkinglas until the mid 1980’s. Their influence is demonstrated throughout the Woodland Garden every March to mid-June with the flowering of the many hybrid rhododendrons that resulted from their extensive breeding programme.
Read more ….