One of the world̵ Read more [...]
Garden Category: Republic of Ireland Gardens
The National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, founded by the Royal Dublin Society in 1795, is now administered by the Department of Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht. The Gardens, 19.5 hectares on the south bank of the Tolka, contain many attractive features including: an arboretum, rock garden and burren areas, large pond, extensive herbaceous borders, student garden and annual display of decorative plants including a rare example of Victorian carpet bedding. Glasshouses include: the beautifully restored curvilinear range designed and built by Richard Turner between 1843 and 1869, large palm house, new alpine house and the complex for ferns, tropical water plants and succulents.
Notable specimens include: a fine, weeping Atlantic cedar, venerable Chusan palms and native strawberry trees, and the “Last Rose of Summer” of the famous ballad. National Collections of Garrya and Potentilla fruticosa are among the 20,000 species and cultivars grown. Read more …